Dr. Seuss (March 2, 1904 – September 24, 1991)
Deemed as the finest talent in the history of children’s books.
Won the hearts and minds of children “by the sneaky stratagem of making them laugh,” Richard R. Lingeman, in a review in The New York Times.
Charmed adults, especially with “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!,” a 1990 book he wrote for adult readers as well as children, which has been on The New York Times best-seller list for 79 weeks. Dr. Seuss won a special Pulitzer citation “for his contribution over nearly half a century to the education and enjoyment of America’s children and their parents.”
Sweet, cute, funny, truth-containing words and advices appealed to both children and adults.
Best Dr. Seuss’ quotes:
1) “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
2) “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
3)“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”
4)“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
5) “Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”
6) “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
7) “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own.
And you know what you know. You are the guy who’ll decide where to go.”
8) “You are you. Now, isn’t that pleasant?”
9) “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
10) “So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you’ll move mountains.”
My friend’s mom gave me Dr. Seuss’ “Oh, the Places You’ll Go” as a graduation present. Love it sooo much! One of my forever-favorite books! It’s full of pictures and colors; it’s so fun reading it, you won’t get bored. And as you can see, every words may be cute and sweet, but it’s also heart-warming and contains truth that’s applicable in life. *thumbs up*
11) “I’m afraid that sometimes you’ll play lonely games too. Games you can’t win ’cause you’ll play against you.”
12) “You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.”
13) “ASAP. Whatever that means. It must mean, ‘Act swiftly awesome pacyderm!”
14) “I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”
15) “Oh the places you’ll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all.”
16) “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
17) “Oh, the things you can find if you don’t stay behind!”
18) “You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers
who soar to high heights.”
19) “When he worked,he really worked.
but when he played,he really PLAYED.”
20) “For a host, above all, must be kind to his guests.”
21) “If you want to catch beasts you don’t see every day,
You have to go places quite out of the way,
You have to go places no others can get to.
You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too.”
22) “Maybe Christmas,” he thought, “doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas. . . perhaps. . . means a little bit more!”
— Dr. Seuss (How the Grinch Stole Christmas!)
23) “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.”
24) Don’t give up. I believe in you all.
25) “Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand.”
26) “I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.”
27) “My friends!”, cried the elephant.
“Tell me! Do tell!
Are you safe? Are you sound?
Are you whole? Are you well?”
28) “This”, cried the Mayor, “is your town’s darkest hour!
The time for all Whos who have blood that is red
To come to the aid of their country!”, he said.
“We’ve GOT to make noises in greater amounts!
So, open your mouth, lad! For every voice counts!”
29) On and on you will hike, And I know you’ll hike far
and face up to your problems whatever they are.
30) Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.